Backyard Kitchen Gardening
Raised Bed Gardens, Garden Supports, Garden Art. Gardening Courses
ü Achieve super high yields … Deep, wide beds with rich, loose soil give you super root growth
ü Grow more in less space, any space … Ideal where space may be limited or where the soil is less than ideal
ü Garden with greater ease and comfort … No bending, No kneeling, No aching
ü Enjoy aesthetically pleasing design… A beautiful eco-friendly addition to your backyard landscape
ü Work less with greater efficiency … Easier to weed, water, fertilize, maintain
ü Get started earlier and enjoy longer growing season … Soil warms earlier, stays warm longer
ü Maintain easier crop rotation …Multiple isolated beds enable easy crop rotation, soil amendment
ü Manage pests and disease … Raised beds offer degree of pest and disease deterrence
· A raised bed garden allows you to create a deep wide rich growing environment for your plants.
· Although roto-tilling will typically loosen soil in a regular garden to a depth of about nine inches, plants can grow much more extensive root systems if given additional depth, width and the right soil conditions.
· Roots absorb moisture and nutrients that are found in the spaces between soil particles.
· Loose soil provides good drainage, enabling water, air and fertilizer to penetrate easily to the roots of your plants, thereby supporting abundant root growth both vertically and horizontally.
· In a traditional narrow row garden, walking on soil exerts pressure that compresses the soil, restricting air and water entry and movement within the soil.
· In a raised bed garden, you get both depth and width, and because no one steps into the beds, the soil remains loose and aerated, with no compaction.
· Because you don’t need to reserve space for walking in a raised bed garden, plants can be spaced closer together enabling dense planting and thus increase productivity per square foot.
· A wide bed garden will provide 5 to 10 times more un-compacted soil to your plants in the same amount of space as in a traditional garden.
· Our raised bed gardens bring your garden closer to you. No more bending over or kneeling to pull weeds or trim plants. By raising the soil level, we make your raised bed gardens just the right height so it's comfortable to work alongside.
· With our wide seat top, you can sit down at your raised garden bed and work in a comfortable position, easily reaching all areas of the garden.
· Contained raised beds tend to bring more order and pleasing geometry to your garden. They can be designed to meet your personal specifications and dimensions, and personalize to achieve harmony with your existing backyard living space.
· We use only untreated wood in the construction of your raised bed garden. If you want to add colour to your garden structure, we can paint it using genuine Old Fashioned Milk Paint, guaranteed to be environmentally safe, fully biodegradable, completely non-toxic and entirely solvent free with zero VOC’s.
· Walkways around and/or between beds can remain grass, can be compacted to bare dirt, or can be layered with a variety of materials, e.g. gravel, river rock, stone.
Easier to weed
· Wide beds enable denser planting with leaves just touching, inhibiting weeds because soil is shaded
· For weeds that do grow, they are easier to pull out of the loose soil since there is no compaction.
Easier and more efficient use of water
· Watering can be concentrated with efficient irrigation systems easily installed in wide beds, allowing you to direct water right to the plants, not the walkways. e.g. soaker hoses, drip irrigators
· Deep beds provide a reservoir for water, making more water available, requiring less frequent watering.
· With dense planting, raised bed gardens can create a microclimate that saves water by reducing evaporation.
Easier and more efficient to fertilize and maintain ideal soil properties
Earlier and Longer Growing Season
Easier Crop Rotation
Pest and Disease Deterrence
· Crop rotation also helps in pest and disease management by relocating crops away from troubled soil.
· Contained raised bed gardens can serve to deter pests such as slugs and snails.
· Other friendlier “pests”, such as dogs and children, may not be so likely to run through your garden bed when it’s contained and raised.
helping our clients eat fresh ... eat healthy ... eat local